Here are the top ten articles for the Middle Eastern Culture Site! These rankings are live and get reset at the beginning of each month, so check back often to see what your fellow visitors are most interested in!
1. Alia Muhammad Baker - Chief Librarian of Al Basrah (Iraq) Central Library, Cultural Heroine
Librarian Alia Muhammad Baker saved the majority of the collection of the Basra Central Library, and much of the history of Basra, from the looting and destruction of war. Her actions inspired two fabulous children's books and earned her a place in the rich history of Iraqi libraries.
2. Languages of the Middle East
The Middle East is an area of amazing and often overlooked linguistic diversity.
3. Ankara, the capital of Turkey
Basic historical sketch of the region and highlights of a few of the many sites to see in the beautiful city of Ankara, Turkey.
4. The Hamsa - Protection from the Evil Eye
The hamsa; also known as the hamesh, Hand of Fatima, Hand of Miriam, and Hand of God; is a Middle Eastern symbol of protection, particularly from the evil eye. Learn about the history and symbolism of this talisman.
5. Basic Words and Phrases in Arabic
Need a kick start on your Arabic language skills? Check out these basic words and phrases.
6. Nabati Poetry - The Poetry of the Desert
Nabati, or Bedouin, poetry is the native poetry of the Arabian Peninsula and Gulf.
7. Janissaries - the Ottoman Empire's Infallible Army
A short history of the infallible army of Ottoman Empire, the Janissaries.
8. Symbolism of the Crescent Moon
The crescent moon is often interpreted as a symbol of Islam, but is this accurate?
9. Key Cultural and Social Values in the Middle East
A comparison of cultural and social values in Western and Middle Eastern cultures.
10. What is Kefir?
An explanation of Kefir, and how to obtain a live supply of real Kefir grains.
Be sure to visit the Middle Eastern Culture Archives
for all the articles!
Editor's Picks ArticlesTop Ten ArticlesPrevious FeaturesSite Map